Tuesday

Apple Crisp Made With Zucchini

I have so much zucchini this year.  I am just swimming in it.  I decided to try to make an Apple Crisp using zucchini.

Apple Crisp Made With Zucchini

10 Cups Peeled Zucchini (Sliced Thin)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar (I use xylitol)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 dash salt
. Peel zucchini, take out seeds and slice thin to make it look like an apple slice
. Combine lemon juice and water in a pan.   Add zucchini and simmer until zucchini is limp and  opaque.   This will reduce the zucchini by half.
.  Drain really well and do not rinse.
.  Spray a 9X9 inch pan with cooking spray or grease pan.
.  In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg (I don't like nutmeg so I don't use it.)
.  Add cooked, drained zucchini and mix well

.  Place zucchini mixture into your greased 9X9 baking pan


Crumb Topping
3/4 Cup Flour (I use whole wheat)
1/4 Cup Oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 Cup real butter
1/2 Cup Sugar (I use xylitol)

Mix butter and sugar together well, add cinnamon, flour and oats.   Sprinkle over Zucchini mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes


This smelled just like apple crisp baking and it tastes VERY close to apple pie.   It is very good and I will be making it again.

4 comments:

Terri's Little Haven & Jenn Too said...

That looks DELICIOUS! Oh my, we have got to grow zucchini next year. I'll have to convince Mr. Beavers we NEED it lol.

Vicky said...

What a great idea! I will definitely be trying this out! ;-)

TrendyFashionista2 said...

My nephew loves apple crisp. I am going to try this on him and see if he can tell the difference.

The Gluten-Free 'Dish' said...

Excuse me while I drool! This makes me hungry! I love the idea you have here...