Saturday

Fried Green Tomatoes ~ Comfort Food ~ Health Benefits



Health Benefits Of Green Tomatoes
. 3X The Calcium Of Red Tomatoes
. More Vitamin C Than A Red Tomato
. 1 Medium Tomato has 1.5 Grams Protein And 1.3 Grams Of Fat
. 1 Medium Tomato has about 30 calories
. They have about the same amount of beta carotene
. Green Tomatoes contain the vitamins E, K, A, and B, iron, potassium, magnesium, copper, chromium, folate, phosphorus, tryptophan, and molybdenum.
. Green tomatoes can help prevent breast, prostate, lung, stomach, colon, liver, pancreatic, and skin cancers
. Green Tomatoes contain powerful antioxidants that can suck up free radical cells in our body that can sometimes cause cancer.

So eat your Green Tomatoes and Take your Probiotics!!
When I was young, my Mom would make Fried Green Tomatoes about this time every year. Even though my Mom is now gone, I crave Fried Green Tomatoes every year when the garden is almost spent.




When my Mom made them, she never added the garlic and hot peppers. I have added them, and the reason is..... When you are married to an Italian, it isn't food unless it has Garlic And Hot Peppers In it.



I slice my tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick and dredge them in a flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper mixture.

Fry them in oil and eat! If you are brave, add garlic and hot peppers.



I really fixed my Hubs this time. I grew habanaro peppers, they are HOT, HOT, HOT. Wouldn't you know it, He liked them!!



Add some ranch dressing and dip the Fried Green Tomatoes In. MMMMMmmmmm so good. I don't do the dip and I only ate 2 slices of tomato because FRIED IS BAD!! So Good, but BAD!



Have any of you ever tried Fried Green Tomatoes? I grew up eating them, but I think it is a taste you have to aquire. Hubs, loved them the first time I made them, which really surprised me.

2 comments:

Terri's Little Haven & Jenn Too said...

I love fried green tomatoes, I bet I would love this. I can't eat habanaro peppers though lol. OMG they are so hot. HOT!

TrendyFashionista2 said...

My Mother always used to make fried green tomatoes when they were in season. This makes me think of her.